Perfect with Mean Green - A easy three bean salad recipe that has that perfect zesty zing to it along with a beautiful presentation of colorful beans, roasted peppers, and fresh cilantro. Bust this bad boy out at the next game day.
- 1 15 ounce can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili flakes optional
- Mean Green, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Pour the drained and rinsed beans into a large bowl.
If you want to use roasted peppers, slice the peppers into quarters and core them out. Set them onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Set oven to broil and broil the peppers in the center of the oven, not too close to the heat source, for 20 minutes, or until the skins char and bubble up. Remove from heat, let them cool and peel them. Discard the skins and chop the peppers. Add them to the mixing bowl.
If you want to use fresh peppers, simply stem, core and chop them and then throw them into the bowl.
Mix in the onion, minced garlic, and cilantro.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, chili flakes, Mean Green and a bit of salt and pepper. Pour it into the mixing bowl and mix everything until it is nicely coated.
Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Ideally longer for the flavors to develop.
- This is a great dish to make the night before and to whip out when the guests arrive
- Feel free to change up the beans used in the recipe to whatever your preference is!