Versatile traditional flour tortillas; Significantly better than the store bought variants!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 ½ cups water
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Skillet
- Rolling pin
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl
- Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal
- Add the water and mix until the dough comes together
- Place on a light floured surface and knead for a few minutes until smooth and elastic
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll each piece into a ball
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla
- Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side
- Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough
- Aluminum foil not only allows for easier cleanup but also keeps the food moist and cooks it evenly.
- You can easily replace the tortilla warmer with a plate with some aluminum foil between each tortilla and on top
- If you are having problems with browning and bubbling feel free to add more lard to the recipe as needed