Perfect with Big Red One - Great game day appetizer that combines all the joys of pizza in small doughy bites.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Teaspoons Big Red One
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus 1½ tablespoons
- ½ cup pepperoni, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warm
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a blender, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, and tomato paste. Blend until smooth. Add the oregano, garlic powder, salt, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and flour and blend on high speed for 2-3 minutes, until completely smooth. Transfer the batter to a liquid measuring cup with a pour spout and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a muffin tin in the oven to preheat.
- After resting, fold ¼ cup (30 g) Parmesan and ¼ cup (35 g) chopped pepperoni into the popover batter.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and brush ¼ teaspoon melted butter in each cup, then fill ¾ of the way full with batter. Sprinkle with the remaining pepperoni and remaining 1½ tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the popovers for 25-30 minutes, or until they appear puffed and dry (do not open the oven door to check).
- Garnish the popovers with basil and serve immediately with warm marinara sauce mixed with Big Red One alongside.
- These can be finicky when it comes to cooking time; monitor them accordingly but don't open the oven door until they are done!