Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Otherwise known as Strata this amazing dish is a great make-ahead holiday breakfast that's quick to prep. So you can pop it in the oven in the morning and sip some coffee while it bakes. Top off with your favorite 13 Stars Hot Sauce (we recommended Big Red One).
- 12 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk (or half & half)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (off the block)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese (off the block)
- 1 cup chopped deli ham
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 ounce loaf French bread
- 13 Stars Big Red One, to garnish
- Set out a large mixing bowl and a 9X13 inch (3 quart) baking dish. Grease the baking dish. Chop all necessary ingredients.
- In the mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, ground mustard, and garlic powder. Whisk well to break up all the yolks. Then stir in the cheeses, ham, scallions, and roasted red pepper.
- Tear the bread loaf into 1-2 inch chunks and place them in the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the bread. Use a spatula to fold the bread over, gently, to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover and chill until ready to bake.
- Let the strata recipe rest for at least one hour, so the bread soaks up all the eggs. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (This is a fabulous make-ahead overnight recipe, so you can also preheat the oven in the morning.)
- Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and puffy in the center. Insert a sharp knife into the center to check that the eggs are set. If not, bake another 5-10 minutes. Then cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Top with your favorite 13 Stars Hot Sauce & Enjoy!
- The meal will keep up to a week in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer. Just thaw and reheat!
- Feel free to add more ‘leftovers’ in your fridge from your holiday meal prep as it's a versatile dish!