Description of the Meal: Egusi soup is a popular Nigerian soup made with ground melon seeds and vegetables. It is a rich, hearty and flavorful soup that is typically served with fufu, a starchy side dish.
- 1 cup of egusi (melon) seeds
- 1/2 cup of palm oil
- 2 cups of water or stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of chopped spinach or kale
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish
- 1 tablespoon of ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the palm oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground egusi seeds and stir until it forms a paste.
- Add the water or stock and stir well. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach or kale, crayfish and ground pepper. Stir well and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot with fufu.
Egusi soup is a rich source of protein and healthy fats. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin A, iron and calcium.